Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Don’t Be Naïve

Someone posted a story on Facebook about the enormous fees for insurance, security, etc that many universities are now charging conservative speakers due the all too often violent response from the far left. They angrily commented how this was an abridgment of free speech.  I agree and find it despicable. But the same thing was done to anti Viet Nam War speakers and demonstrators in the 1960’s. Those in power attempt to inhibit opposition from others and nullify a perceived potential threat.  I suspect, sadly, that this represents part of human nature and has probably occurred since Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden.

I have said repeatedly on this blog and on Facebook that I find many of those commenting naïve or dangerously naïve.  Someone once remarked that they were insulted when I called them ignorant. If I had wanted to insult someone I would said so in bolder terms, but I was simply making an honest comment about their apparent ignorance on the discussed subject.  Probably some people see me as partisan while others see me as insightful. Whatever the final verdict, that decision doesn’t rest with me.

Sloppy speech seems more common today. Perhaps it’s because we write so much more now given our instant communications technologies. I’ve even heard Obama confuse middle income and middle class. Income is the money you make; class is how you spend it. Someone would be considered middle class because they collect art, read a lot of books and may have a bachelor’s or master’s degree; qualities separate from their income or net worth. Naiveté is fed by imprecise, sloppy speech.

Postscript: I have posted twice about the potential benefits to Amador County becoming involved with the proposed Sacramento Multi Modal Terminal adjacent to Amtrak.  Happily, the responsible local parties are now plugged into that process. But did I advocate this because I am a bleeding heart green liberal living in fear of global warming, or because I am a staunch conservative trying to increase ridership/reduce subsidies and build a social welfare system that helps people help themselves rather than encourages dependency? Or did I do this because I am a concerned, participatory citizen with specialized expertise? Sometimes I feel like I belong to the most obscure corner of political opinion: the Common Sense Party.


Copyright 2017, Mark L. Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment