Monday, June 1, 2015

Do we share the same reality?

Following and participating in many recent heated and sometimes hateful dialogues on local Facebook, I asked myself the following question: Is there a sharp contrast between a difference of opinion and a lack of grounding in reality? The line is sometimes gray, so I won’t venture an absolute definition, but rather share some observations. Many people here feel that our future is an economy based upon boutique shopping, wine tasting and white water rafting.  As they promote this vision they also oppose the Newman Ridge project.  But a sound economy is a diversified economy, more resilient to enviable change. Because I support this project many consider me to be an ideological conservative, but 50 years ago I would have been considered a liberal Democrat. I don’t care about labels; I rest my case on common sense and thousands of years of economic history.

I was born in 1947 in Buffalo, NY at a Sisters of Charity hospital. As my mother approached the end of her pregnancy the doctor asked if she wanted me strangled if I wasn’t “right”. It was then commonplace for the disabled newborn to be killed with the doctor telling the parents that their baby was born dead and then forging the dead certificate. The hospital staff was complicit, which presumably included the nuns, and they all carried this secret to their grave. A disabled child would have consigned the family to poverty; some siblings would have forgone marriage to care for them while others would have given up the possibility of college and upward mobility. There was no welfare state as we know it today, and back then it was a badge of shame to say I can’t take care of myself and my family. These people had their pride, hopes and dreams, these would be off spring were the children or grand children of those who left the spent fields of Sicily or the imperially ravaged landscape of Poland. The doctors and hospital staff knew the families and lived in the same neighborhoods. They all knew life was a bitch.

I won’t be sitting on a golden throne on Judgment Day and I can’t answer the question of whether this was right or wrong. I know God gave us freewill and I know that we have to make decisions within our limited confines and restricted circumstances. It is not always easy, nor do I suspect it is supposed to be.  Life is a gritty experience of hard choices.

A cousin of mine killed hundreds, if not thousands, of Japanese. If the Marine Corp pinned any more medals on his chest he would have fallen over from their weight. But after the war he was a person that dreaded uncertainty and never fully embraced life. Beyond his job and family, he devoted himself to helping other veterans which probably aided his own struggle for inner peace. He chained smoked, was plagued with bleeding ulcers and died young. In his heart he was never a hero; just a man caught in a kill or be killed situation.

While it may surprise many people here, I once worked on a project for a former Sierra Club lobbyist. It was a great project and I am proud of its accomplishments. I mention this because I was guided by what I believe was reality based common sense, not a preconceived ideological stricture. Some people would like an economy of cutesy tourist towns, and others say we are justified in spending a quarter of a million dollars or so keeping brain stem babies alive for a few months and some oppose the Dollar General store in Pine Grove because they believe that we are a more affluent community than we really are. I wonder what reality some people live in and what their concept of reality is based upon. It is not always just what we would like to happen.

Copyright 2015, Mark L. Bennett


No comments:

Post a Comment