Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Dead Trees Equal Exportable Wood Pellets

Wood pellets can be made from dead trees, limbs and sawdust. Wood pelleting machines come in all shapes and sizes including even portable ones for home use.

Global wood pellet production has grown from 2 million tonnes in 2000 to 25 million tonnes in 2014. Two million tonnes of that goes to Korea and Japan alone. Post Fukushima demand has soared, with South Korean demand planned to go from 0% of their power mix in 2012 to 10% by 2024. The Asian demand has prompted vast pellet production investments in British Columbia including even the conversion of a particle board factory into more profitable pellet production.


There’s no need to repeat our near daily conversations about the dying trees and those felled and lying on the ground for forest fire fuel. So I am asking everyone in our community to consider pellet production and get a process moving to make it happen. While I don’t want to sound vain I suggested this in my 11/16/15 Residential Waste Burning and in my 11/13/13 A Pioneer Biomass Plant. I believe that it’s an idea whose time has come.

Copyright 2016, Mark L. Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment